Thursday, August 5, 2010

Gettin' my knitting on.

I'm always inspired by stories I read of women who knit sweaters.  I think about how I would love to do that, but as a crochet-er I have always been intimidated by knitting because two needles seemed too much to manage.

My sweet, sweet grandmother taught me to crochet (and sew!) while spending afternoons at her house growing up.  I actually can't remember "learning", I can only remember "doing".  I have made countless crochet creations from scarves to baby blankets to the bikini I tried to make when I was eleven. I am a little embarrassed to admit this and happy to say it either never got finished or I got bored and moved on to something else. 

Nevertheless, as easily as crocheting came to me I never learned how to knit.  But, I have recently decided its time to learn.  It might be because I am just kind of ready to learn a new thing or that I am about to move from the Caribbean to Vermont and it sort of "fits".  But, whatever the reason I am making it happen.  I have one practice ball of cotton yarn, my trusty Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework (gifted from my other grandmother who was a quilting genius) and some hand-me-down needles from my mom, who never taught me how because she is a leftie and I am not. I've been at it for a couple of weeks now practicing my stitches and I think it's going to be a new favorite activity.

I have some pretty blue yarn headed my way to make into a scarf from this pattern. And,  I have some yummy organic cotton yarn and a new set of bamboo circular needles waiting for me to make into this throw when I move back to New England in October.  Does this sound a bit too ambitious?  We'll see how I feel once I get into a real project after my practice run.

No comments:

Post a Comment